Home cast blarney photo recipes Contact

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lil Kiwi Surgery Part III - The Thing in Room 13

So, first there was the tushie cocktail followed by the awakening and now Lil Kiwi was to stay three days in the depths of room 13...

As soon as all the nurses had finally left the room DH and Wee Man brought up my bags full of Lil Kiwi's things... We set things up to make her as comfortable as possible... Looking at my sleeping bench I hoped I would be able to get some sleep on it (little did I know it wouldn't matter anyway)... DH and Wee Man decided to head for home since it was getting late and it looked like it would storm... In fact, it rained so hard they had to stop several times before they even got to the house...

So there I was standing next to Lil Kiwi's crib and not a sound could be heard but rain falling; that is, until I tried to go sit on my bed...

"AWWWWWWW AWWWWWWWW"

Okay... take two steps back and silent once again.. hmm one step away from bed..

"AWWWWWWW AWWWWWWW"

Okay... Apparently, I was not allowed to move from her side... Understandable... The nurse on duty felt bad for me so she brought a chair for me to sit in next to the crib... Ooo no... Lil Kiwi would have none of that... I wasn't allowed to sit on the chair... She would only be calm and quiet if I was standing next to the crib... I remember thinking about how I was worried about the bed being comfortable.. *sigh* (she did finally allow me to sit several hours later)

However, she would also scream if she so much as heard the door open... It didn't matter who or what they were doing; if they came in they were greeted by "AWWWWW AWWWWW" .... Keep in mind that for the first 24 hours they come in almost every hour to monitor or check the IV lines... Oh joy... It was so bad that by the last day one of the nurses REFUSED to even come in the room because she didn't want to get screamed at... Everyone down to the cleaning lady dreaded coming into the room and the wrath of Lil Kiwi... She might be small but that little girl has a powerful aura...

There was no sleeping either... Lil Kiwi would lay there looking at me... play and cuddle with Cuski... look at purple guy... watch the door for signs of "those" people... If by chance her eyes did close her ears didn't... The first click of the door and "AWWWWW AWWWWWW" ... The nurses swore they thought we were always sleeping because it was so quiet in the room until they touched the door... The bags under my eyes told otherwise... This was pretty much how it was until about 0130 hours when she decided she wanted more of her apple juice (which she hates) ... All was fine until she burped and juice came flowing out... *sign* I tried to hold her and reach the call button on the other side of the crib... A nurse came to help change sheets and told me there was a washer that I could wash her Cuski and blanket in.. Great...

Wrong... Least we forget the I am not allow to even go to the bathroom or sit without Lil Kiwi getting upset... However, I figured I would try anyways because it should only be a few minutes right... *sigh* Jogged around the corner and threw stuff in the washer and jogged back to room.. Whew I was maybe two minutes IF that... I returned to a screaming Lil Kiwi and a crib with blood all over it... WHAT THE HOLY DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS!!!!!

*push button push button* "There's blood in her crib I think she pulled her IV out" (now you remember that picture in
the awakening about her IV)

Thirty minutes later.... clean sheets... no more IV in foot... and the nurses swearing she is the cutest evil little devil they have ever met... Lil Kiwi was once again in her crib with me by her side... Only I still had to get her stuff in the dryer and then after that get her stuff out of the dryer and back to the room... *oh dear* Somehow, I was able to get that all done without Lil Kiwi doing anything else to herself...

Of course, she still needed an IV so they tried to get one in her arm.. That was a no go... A few minutes later a different nurse came in and tried to get an IV in her hand... That was also a no go... It was about two hours later before another nurse from a different floor came in and got an IV going in her hand... Thank goodness but oooo that was so hard to see them try again and again on poor Lil Kiwi...

The upside to all of this screaming and fighting was that it finally took Lil Kiwi into some much needed napping.. Yes napping not sleep... It had been more than 24 hours since we both had sleep.. The down side to the napping... When she got up she was HAPPY and moving... I was holding on to her tubes and keeping them from getting tangled or pulled... During this she somehow popped open her pee tube TWICE and needed new sheets.. Then on the third time I got them to tape it shut.. THEN she had the tube come off her leg so more tape on leg... Oh it was a sight to behold.. However, she was happy and running laps in the crib so I was happy... This happy silliness provided me with some cute pictures for Wordless Wednesday next week... Make sure to visit next WW for the silliness..

It was great seeing her so happy although she still screamed if anyone touched the door... It was also then that I noticed Lil Kiwi started to chew on her IV... Before, it had sometimes seemed wet but I thought it was just my imagination or mmm lack of sleep... However, a quick talk to the nurses and they checked it and placed a sock over it to keep her from chewing on it... hmm you see how well that worked hehee...
The saga continues in next post.... If only I would have known then what was happening; this might have been the end of the saga...

3 comments:

  1. Sending positive thoughts to Lil Kiwi; wishing goodness to her in all areas of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor things! I am praying right now that Friday will be a better day for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have been though a lot with your little one. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to stay in the hospital with my baby like that. I hope she heals fast and you are able to get your much needed sleep! I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete